Sunday, January 4, 2015

Upper bath before & after



The upstairs bath is kind of an odd space because it's not a dedicated guest bath although it's on the same floor as the main entertaining space, and neither is it a master bath although it is next to the master bedroom. I use this bath (the guys use the downstairs one), so I wanted it to be easy to clean up quickly for when peeps come over.

Basically I don't keep any of my stuff in here except tooth paste, tooth brush  and shower stuff. ALLLL my other many many products are in the hall closet just outside the bathroom door and this works fine.

So, remodeling this space meant gutting everything (even rebuilding the floor which was rotting into the utility room below). I left the tile surround and the tub (which is white, the before is the actually the downstairs bath flipped horizontally because I didn't take a "before" of the upstairs bath, but they are identical except for those horrid pea green fixtures).

Anyway, I splurged on the floor tile in here because the space is so small, but even so, $350 for special-order penny tile still seems steep to me because I'm so cheap. I LOVE this tile, though, and will probably always use porcelain tile in remodels in the future because a) it doesn't scratch and is tougher than ceramic; and b) it always looks shiny even when I haven't mopped for days. I also laid this tile myself and I found it really easy to work with because instead of using a saw to cut the tiles to size, I could just snip the mesh backing with scissors to re-size the tiles as needed.

Guess what the (three) shelves in here are made from? Go ahead, I'll wait... Okay, I'll just tell you because you'll never guess - I made them from cheese boards I found at Target for just under $20/each! And then some brackets I bought at Lowe's for 3-4 bucks each. I love how they look, kinda rustic but polished.

Last comment, swapping out the grimy glass shower doors for a curved shower curtain rod made a huge difference in the interior of the bath/shower area. It just feels a lot more roomy inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment