Sunday, January 4, 2015

Master bedroom before & after


The master bedroom is still a work in progress in terms of decorating and arranging the furniture. I'd like to finally make that tufted silk headboard I have all the materials for, and Jim wants to build a wooden platform bed so we can lose the box spring. But it's to a place now where it feels restful and pretty organized. 

This room is a very elongated rectangle because it used to be two smaller bedrooms (you can see in the "before" photos the remnants of the old dividing wall which we removed). I had this vision of making one side of the room the sleeping space and the other the kicked-backed loungy space, but because our king bed is so large it doesn't work anywhere else except smack in the middle. So now we have this really big side spaces for twirling in large skirts or, more realistically, piling up loads and loads of laundry... (Also, we don't really need another lounge space with a living room and a huge downstairs family/TV room.)

Decor--wise, my vision was to create an upscale beachy feeling, like a Nancy Meyers movie set, with white linen and and sea glass greens and blues. It didn't quite work out and, like ALL my decorating intentions, ended up taking on the "global eclectic" look that I think is just what's in my soul, i.e. more Moroccan or Mexican than Cape Cod. 

I DIYed the light fixtures for this room by combining a hard-wired pendant light kit with an upside-down lamp shade. I used small, clear bulbs meant for a refrigerator since they are somewhat visible and also so they don't protrude below the fixture.

 

A note about a really good purchase for this room was the duvet cover and shams - they are heavy, high-quality washed linen, exactly what I wanted from the Eileen Fisher Home collection...but for hundreds (yes, hundreds, less). So I found these at H&M online for $100! I love the easy wrinkled look of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment