Tuesday, August 25, 2015

DIY plant hanger from 2 pieces of rope

 Just a cool plant hanging out...

This spider plant I started from a clipping is finally big enough that it really needed to hang so the leaves wouldn't get smooshed. So I cut two lengths of rough sisal rope, folded them in half to make 4 strands, wound some leftover trim around the 4 cut ends and cinched it tightly to form the bottom. Then I tied a knot near the top to make a hanging loop and voila! an easy, rustic chic plant hanger more than sturdy enough to hold a heavy concrete planter. Once the planter is inside, the weight of it keeps the ropes taut and the plant stationary. 



To hang it up, I drilled a hole in the ceiling and used a toggle bolt, a headless screw and a decorative hook threaded onto one end to provide a secure place to hang the whole thing. I had a length of trim left still and I strung it for a bit more visual interest. I love how this turned out and I'll definitely make more.


PROJECT REFLECTIONS
Total cost: Free! Everything I used I already had in the house.
Easiest part: Working with only 2 pieces of rope.
Hardest part: Drilling the hole big enough in the ceiling for the toggle bolt to fit up into, but even that wasn't hard, just dusty.
What I'd do differently next time: Maybe try differently colored ropes or wrap the ropes in embroidery thread for more color.
What I learned: I always forget to use horizontal space, so it was a good reminder to look up!

No comments:

Post a Comment